- 22 Jul 2008
- Having been told that a relative had
acquired a 'rare blood disorder', we were fortunate enough to have found on the
internet a case record of
acquired vWD in an 83 year old woman. It was printed and taken with us to
the hospital on the morning that we were told of the diagnosis and was helpful
in enabling understanding that positive diagnosis was difficult and that problems were
likely in finding the right treatment for this acquired haemophilia. These links
and the information we found for von
Willebrand Disease in humans may be helpful to relatives of newly diagnosed
patients seeking information about it, and in particular the acquired type,
which is a rare disease.
There is a link to a 'Care letter' that we found
very helpful to have available at all times since not all medical care staff
have full knowledge of the disease and a history, upon emergency admission to
hospital, is very useful.
- Please contact me if you have any stories or
information to share with others.
Links: from a search on http://www.google.com
- An 83-year-old with Post Operative Bleeding:
- Information and Links for von Willebrands:
- Stories & Letters:
- Useful explanations:
- Baxter Healthcare Organisation - great hemophilia site:
- Information on vWD:
- Care of patients with von Willebrand disease (vWD):
- von Willebrands Fact Sheet:
- 'A Guide to Living with von Willebrand Disease' - free
book available from:
SOME LINKS TO FIND OUT ABOUT
- Medlineplus: Excellent!